I’m Heather, a mom who can’t possibly be as old as her driver’s license says; especially considering the number of shows on the CW and MTV that I watch. The members of the family are:
- B — the 14 year old son who shares my love of TV, pop culture and Internet memes. Also voted most likely to eventually guest blog here.
- K-Bear — 9 1/2 year old daughter who got that nickname 9 1/2 years ago. Yup, feisty right from the womb, that one. Dealing with her ADHD and dyslexia taught has taught me so much.
- Husband — who doesn’t have a nickname for this blog so let’s call him…Greg. He says yes to most of my adventures and attempts to reign me in from my craziest ideas.
We’re from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
We love to travel and I started thinking about this blog during our trip to Costa Rica last month. The Facebook updates weren’t cutting it; especially since I had a few people asking for more details for their own trip planning. Plus…phone photos? I’m sorry, but Costa Rica is all about zoooooooming in on the wildlife. OMG! IT’S A SLOTH! AN ACTUAL SLOTH!!! GET THE SLR CAMERA! Yeah, I needed a better format to log our trip.
The more I thought about it, the more I decided I would start the blog with the trip stuff, and keep going from there. I’ve been around the block a few times. I know stuff. Stuff that people of the Internet might want to know about.
My Biggest Talents
I’m good at obsessively researching the crap out of something and then quickly coming up with panicked life hacks since I spent too long on the computer, and damn it, dinner should have been on the table an hour ago. Please, benefit from my experience.
I’ll be blogging about:
- Winter vacations: our sunny southern vacations that keep me from going stir crazy during the long Canadian winter. Benefit from my OCD research. Reviews, packing, budget.
- Camping: we moved from backpacking and portage canoeing, to tent camping with a car, to a pop-up trailer, to a 23′ travel trailer. We’ve stopped expanding for now…until retirement. Shh! Greg doesn’t know. He thinks we’re going to get a smaller trailer when we retire. Hee hee. Reviews, recipes, tips.
- School: everything education, including the challenges of our dyslexic/ADHD girl. And yes, there’s been a butt load of research on my part. Who knew my degree in psychology would finally come in handy when I started reading all the latest research papers on the two conditions.
- Foster Animals: temporary members of the family. They bring joy and challenges to our lives. If you want to know how to give antibiotics to a hamster, this is the place to be.
- Recipes: I love food. I hate complicated recipes with obscure ingredients, 23 steps and the foresight to start marinading meat the night before. My foresight only extends as far as my crockpot, and even that requires a reminder on my phone.
- Gardening: I worked in a garden centre back in the day. I’m a bit of a plant geek now.
- Pinterest Worthy Crafts & Things: AHA-HA-HA-HA! Oh, sorry, I think I just peed a little. I do have a Pinterest page though. Just for inspiration.
So that’s about it.